Emergency Services and the quality of care provided at the scene of an accident or disaster has seen tremendous change in the past several decades. Advancements in technologies and medicine have dramatically improved the quality of care available to critically ill or injured patients in the pre-hospital setting. As a result, there has been a corresponding need for increased improvement in education and training for emergency responders.
Take the Next Step
Your Career in Emergency Services
A background in emergency services will train you to respond to a natural disaster, public health threat, or other emergency situation. Know what to do, how to direct others, and how to establish systems to help an organization prepare and maintain business functions. Earn a two-year degree in the administration or technology disciplines, or a specialized diploma in the technology discipline. Any option provides education and training for those currently in the field, those who are responsible for business continuity, and volunteers who assist during emergency situations.
NCC's Emergency Services Programs
Emergencies take form in all areas of life and require well-trained professionals from a variety of backgrounds. To ensure public safety, Northampton Community College offers three distinct emergency service training programs:
- Emergency Services Technology AAS Degree: The two-year associate degree is a flexible program that lets you specialize in the field of your choice - firefighting, search and rescue, EMT training, etc. Core courses cover basic emergency response and decision making, while electives cover more in-depth topics.
- Emergency Services Specialist Diploma: As a one-year program, the emergency services specialist diploma is a concentrated version of the AAS degree, allowing you to enter the job market at a faster rate. Similar to the associate's program, the specialist diploma lets you choose electives based on your professional interests such as EMT, firefighter or other front-line emergency responder roles. You can also further your studies at the associate or bachelor level.
- Emergency Services Administration AAS Degree: The two-year emergency services administration AAS program prepares you for a variety of emergency administration and planning roles. It's an ideal degree if you're an established first responder looking to advance your career or if you're dedicated to ensuring public safety. The program teaches you necessary skills to coordinate response efforts in a natural or human-made emergency. Because it's typical for multiple agencies to work together, communicate goals and deploy resources with efficiency, you will be prepared with well-rounded training.
Each emergency services program has its own benefits depending on your personal goals. To find out which one fits your future, contact an academic advisor at NCC.
Studying Emergency Services at NCC
Whether you are training to become a firefighter, an EMT or an emergency services administration professional, NCC's learning environment is tailored to you. We offer classes with a low student to instructor ratio, which allows you to learn directly from our experienced faculty. We're also one of only several community colleges nationwide to offer on-campus housing for emergency services students.
Part of effectively responding in an emergency is learning how to work as a team - living on campus promotes a sense of camaraderie with fellow students to prepare you for the relationships you'll develop in your profession.
Paying for Your Education
NCC is one of the most affordable community colleges in PA for emergency medical technicians. We have the lowest in-state tuition rates and an extensive scholarship program to offset the cost of your education. If you're considering retraining for an emergency services career or wanting to train as an EMT, firefighter or other service provider, NCC can help. Don't hesitate - contact NCC to further your dedication to ensuring public safety.
Emergency Services Career Paths
- Emergency Management Coordinators
- Fire Officer
- Law Enforcement Officer
- Emergency Medical Supervisor
- Safety and Security Director
- Corrections Officer
- Emergency Management Specialist
- Emergency Response Manager
- Emergency Services Technician
- Emergency Medical Technician
Degrees We Offer
- Emergency Services Technology AAS | 2 years
- Emergency Services Administration AAS | 2 years
- Emergency Services Specialist SD| 1 year
- Emergency Medical Technician SD | 1 year