Documentation of Disability
Students requesting disability services and reasonable accommodations must present comprehensive, qualified and current documentation of their disability. A disability is defined as a condition that substantially limits a major life activity such as walking, talking, learning, hearing and/or seeing and is covered under the ADAAA.
Information regarding a student's disability is not obtained through the admissions process. In fact, disability-related records are maintained separately from academic records. Therefore, all documentation of disability should be mailed or faxed to:
Northampton Community College
3835 Green Pond Road
Bethlehem, PA 18020
FAX: (610) 861-5075
In general, all documentation should be typed on letterhead stationary or be in report format and should include the following information:
- a clearly stated diagnosis of a disability
- the student's functional limitations in an academic environment
- the signature, printed name, title, and professional credentials of the evaluator
- the date of evaluation
Other points to remember:
- Because the provision of all reasonable accommodations and services is based upon assessment of the current impact of the disability on academic performance, it is in your best interest to provide the best, most recent documentation.
- Documentation should be current within three years, but exceptions may be granted depending upon individual circumstances and disability.
- Documentation must be a comprehensive assessment that addresses the ability to function in an academic environment and may include recommendations for accommodations.
- A school plan such as an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) does not constitute documentation of disability but can be included as part of a more comprehensive assessment battery.
- A physician's prescription pad note is not acceptable as documentation.
- Submission of documentation does not complete the process. Remember to schedule an interview with a member of the Disability Services staff to discuss receipt of services.